Project Duration: 11 months
Start Date: 1st February 2021
Partners: Cwm Taf Morgannwg University Health Board, Cwm Taf Morgannwg Regional Partnership Board, Zenergy Design Ltd, Mental Health Matters Wales and Cardiff University
Project Aim: Reimagining the building into a multi-use space for the local community, staff and patients with a focus on improving ‘wellbeing’ and mental health
Glanrhyd Hospital is a mental-health hospital in Pen-y-fai near Bridgend and is managed by Cwm Taf Morgannwg University Health Board. The church stands in a prominent position within the hospital grounds and is still used for religious purposes. We propose to reimagine the building into a multi-use space for the local community, as well as staff and patients on site.
Michaela Moore, Director of Mental Health Matter Wales said:
“Mental Health Matters Wales is delighted to be partner of such an innovative project which aims to support the Social and Emotional Wellbeing of the community”
- Identification of the stakeholders and their needs
- Co-developed plan and specification for a sympathetic refurbishment including an cost estimate
- Defining the model and staff requirement for the running and operating of the venue
- Identification of potential funding sources
- Establishing an active network of stakeholders that will in future, run the range of activities contributing to Glanrhyd achieving its social, cultural, environmental and well-being ambitions
Potential Future Outcomes
- Securing funding to support a sustainable adaptation of the church into a Community Hub
- Help the Health Board meet the new policies for decarbonisation recently set out for the NHS. A key outcome will be to raise awareness of what is possible with existing NHS buildings that are no longer required for their original purpose
- Increased experience for the company compatible with its core sustainability principles which will strengthen its portfolio
- Possible research opportunities and academic publications eg through monitoring energy / space usage and optimising performance
- Support for community initiatives especially around wellbeing and mental health support and develop strong ties with local charities
Find out about other projects on the CIA website.
This project is part of the Accelerate programme which is part-funded by the European Regional Development fund, through Welsh Government.